This textbook presents introductory ecology in an accessible, state-of-the-art format designed to cultivate the novice student's understanding of, and fascination with, the natural world. In a concise, engaging style, this text outlines the essential principles of ecology from the theoretical fundamentals to their practical applications. Full color artwork, simple pedagogical features, and a wide range of carefully-chosen examples make this book an ideal introduction to ecology for students at all levels.
The third edition of this successful text is much more than a simple update, reflecting the vibrancy of the field. With hundreds of new examples, it contains for the first time a separate chapter on evolutionary ecology, with all other chapters, especially those on applied aspects, having been extensively revised and re-written. The new edition also features new artwork and an enhanced design, making this book as attractive as it is up-to-date and relevant.
Outstanding features of the third edition of Essentials of Ecology include:
- Dedicated website - available at www.blackwellpublishing.com/townsend, featuring study resources and web research questions
- Key Concepts - summarized at the beginning of each chapter
- History boxes outlining key landmarks in the development of ecology
- Quantitative boxes - allowing mathematical aspects of ecology to be explained clearly without interrupting the flow of the text
- Topical ECOncerns boxes - highlighting ethical, social and political questions in ecology
- Review questions - included at the end of each chapter